Ever wish to have a one-year trek across Asia while contributing your passion and energy to three worthy causes along the journey?
Apply to ASCA’s VOLUNTEER PROGRAM now and work with underprivileged communities in Indonesia, Cambodia, and Afghanistan!
Volunteers in this program will be able to work with these three social circus organizations:
- Red Nose Foundation, in Jakarta – Indonesia (website)
- Phare Ponleu Selpak, in Battambang – Cambodia (website)
- Mobile Mini Circus for Children, in Kabul – Afghanistan (website)
Through social circus techniques, these organizations work with underprivileged and/or at-risk local communities to help them develop resilience, self-reliance, confidence, trust, and ultimately happiness and hope for a better future.
One of the needs most often voiced by ASCA member organizations are qualified volunteers – individuals highly trained in the techniques and arts of circus and is willing to take a plunge into the world of deprived communities in the Third World to help the inhabitants build dreams.
On the other hand, ASCA has often received e-mails from willing volunteers from across the globe who are facing difficulties in finding the right circus organizations in Asia where they can participate in worthy causes while also sharing their circus knowledge to spread joy to others.
Through this volunteer program, ASCA plans to connect the dot between these two groups (member organizations and willing volunteers) in the hope of building a stable network between people in the West and the East, the North and the South, so that together we are able to build a better world – using circus arts!
During the volunteer program, ASCA will cover the following expenses:
- Room & board (with a minimum standard of comfort)
- Local transportation
- 3 (three) meals per day or an equivalent stipend
- Monthly stipend based on each country’s standard minimum wage
Volunteers will be responsible for:
- International travel expenses, approx. $2,200 – $2,600 (depends on the volunteers’ domicile) for 1 year worth of travelling
- Required vaccinations
- Visa expenses
In order to be able to participate in this program, applicants must:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be a professional circus artist / teacher.
- Have five-year experience of working in circus-based organizations.
- Have five-year experience of working with children.
- Have strong passion, energy (mental and physical), and willingness to work in social circus causes.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with and respect for diversity.
- Be enthusiastic and willing to learn about the role of social circus in peace and development.
- Be willing to take a plunge into the environment of Third World underprivileged communities, which can be a little harsh.
- Have internet proficiency as well as proficiency in MS Word or other word processor software (volunteers are required to write about their experiences periodically for the ASCA Blog).
- Experience in volunteering a strong asset.
- Experience in non – formal education an asset.
APPLY NOW! Complete the Application Form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Volunteers who pass the selection process will be subject to rigorous background check.
Program will begin in first half of 2015!